Police and Crime Commissioner

Council tax precept survey

Your views matter so I am consulting you about the way forward with four questions about the amount you pay for policing in Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth and Southampton.

In times of austerity, funding will remain firmly at the centre and as a driver for everything to make us safer. I am committed to being part of the national debate and focussing attention on getting this right.

The amount of Government funding provided to each police force is determined by a funding formula. This formula is not yet fair and I will fight to make sure that it reflects a fairer distribution for my area, which is currently disadvantaged by the existing formula.

The 2016/17 budget for the Police and Crime Commissioner and Hampshire Constabulary is £305 million. This money principally comes from two sources: central government grant and council tax.

In Hampshire, 65% of police funding comes through government grants, with the remaining 35% coming from the Council Tax precept, which I set locally.

About Fordingbridge

Fordingbridge is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 under the name Forde.

The town lies on the banks of the River Avon in Hampshire and has a population of approximately 5,700 people.

A major feature of the town  is the 7 arched bridge.

Since 1982 Fordingbridge has been twinned with Vimoutiers in Normandy

For details about retailers and services the Fordingbridge Town Centre Shopping is a good source of information on food and drink, health and wellbeing, house and home, leisure and local interest, professional and financial services and vehicles, and includes a useful map.

The Fordingbridge Information Office (see PDF for more details) is located at Kings Yard, Salisbury Street and offers a range of information on Town Council Services, New Forest District Council Services and Visitor Information. Opening Hours are:

April – October - 10am-4pm Monday to Friday
November – March - 10:00am-4:00pm Monday, Wednesday and Friday
Telephone 01425 654560
Email Information@fordingbridge.gov.uk

Fordingbridge Neighbourhood Policing team

The Fordingbridge Neighbourhood Policing team are available to assist the community with any ongoing concerns. Please contact us using these details (PDF)

Friends of Fordingbridge Hospital

Following the closure of this charity, the assets remaining at the AGM were distributed. Please see  this PDF for details

Famous residents

  • Augustus John - Welsh portrait artist, born 1878, who lived in Fordingbridge from 1927 until his death in 1961
  • Frank Jefferis - former Southampton, Everton and England footballer, born 1884
  • Neil McCarthy - actor, born 1933
  • Paul Kidby artist, born 1964,  best known for his art based on Terry Pratchett's Discworld, lives and works in Fordingbridge
  • Daniel O'Mahony writer, born 1973

Christmas in Fordingbridge 2015

A video giving the taste of the Christmas Lights countdown and Christmas shopping (You Tube video)

Remembrance Sunday 2016 

Hundreds of people turned out on Sunday 13th November to participate in the Remembrance Sunday commemoration, parade and church service to remember all those who gave their lives for their country.

In addition to the many organisations participating in the parade, many spectators lined the route to pay their respect and add their support. YouTubeVideo

Picnic in the Park 2016

A video giving a taste of the fun celebrating the Queen's 90th Birthday (YouTube Video)

A video of the Hyde Band who played at the Picnic in the Park event (YouTube Video)

The Moto Guzzi Club of Great Britain 40th International V Twin Rally

28-31 August, 2015 in Fordingbridge, Hampshire UK. Photography, Editing and Production by Tim Devane.

World War One Centenary

Fordingbridge First World War Centenary Commemoration

Find out what happened locally by visiting www.fordingbridgeww1.com

The Fictitious Village of Fordwick 1914

Welcome to the village of Fordwick in July 1914 just before the outbreak of the Great War, when life was normal, but how this would change in a very short space of time. (You Tube Video)

Email this to someoneShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on PinterestTweet about this on Twitter