Do you own land that has a watercourse or drainage ditch on or adjacent to it?
Answer: Yes –You are therefore a ‘riparian landowner’ and you are responsible for maintaining those watercourses.
Fordingbridge is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 under the name Forde.
The town lies on the banks of the River Avon in Hampshire and has a population of approximately 5,700 people.
A major feature of the town is the 7 arched bridge.
Since 1982 Fordingbridge has been twinned with Vimoutiers in Normandy
For details about retailers and services the Fordingbridge Town Centre Shopping is a good source of information on food and drink, health and wellbeing, house and home, leisure and local interest, professional and financial services and vehicles, and includes a useful map.
- Augustus John - Welsh portrait artist, born 1878, who lived in Fordingbridge from 1927 until his death in 1961
- Frank Jefferis - former Southampton, Everton and England footballer, born 1884
- Neil McCarthy - actor, born 1933
- Paul Kidby artist, born 1964, best known for his art based on Terry Pratchett's Discworld, lives and works in Fordingbridge
- Daniel O'Mahony writer, born 1973